Raspberry Marzipan Coffee Cake
(Betty Crocker 40th Anniversary Edition Cookbook)
1/3 cup Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup firm butter or margarine
1/3 cup slivered almonds
2 cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 cup milk
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 package (7- or 8-oz size) almond paste, finely chopped
1 cup fresh or unsweetened frozen (thawed) raspberries
1. Heat oven to 350ºF. Prepare Streusel. Grease square pan, 9x9x2 inches.
2. In large bowl, beat all coffee cake ingredients except almond paste and raspberries with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
3. Spread half of batter in pan. Sprinkle with half each of the almond paste, raspberries and streusel. Repeat with remaining batter, almond paste, raspberries and streusel.
4. Bake about 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve warm or cool.
* If using self-rising flour, omit baking powder and salt.
Raspberry-chocolate coffee cake variation: substitute 1 package (6 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate chips for the almond paste.
*** I used white chocolate chips since my husband isn't a very keen on chocolate in his breakfast.
I really liked the sweetness from the raspberries. It took longer to bake since I used an 8x8x2 pan instead of my 9x9x2.