Friday, April 17, 2009

Lemon Curd and Fruit Tarts

Every week when I go grocery shopping I have to buy something for my husband for breakfast break at work. Well I'm getting tired of buying the same old things. I can not even imagine how tired he is of eating the same old things.
I decided to try my hand at Lemon Curd (the recipe is from Curtis Stone of Take Home Chef). I have never made Lemon Curd and was a bit worried how it would come out. My first mistake was using a double "lined" metal mixing bowl. Due to the double thinkness of the bottom of the mixing bowl it didn't heat up the eggs enough at first. So I transferred the eggs to a regular metal bowl and increased the heat a little. Viola it worked. I also mixed together some cream cheese and sugar to make a "cheesecake" mix.

Lemon Curd Recipe (Curtis Stone recipe from Take Home Chef)

4 large eggs
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
1 stick salted butter, diced

Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil over medium-high heat. Decrease the heat to low. Whisk the eggs, sugar, lemon juice and zest in a medium stainless steel or glass bowl to blend. Place the bowl over the hot water and whisk in the butter.

Continue to whisk for about 3 minutes or until the curd has become thick and creamy and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat and whisk until most of the heat from the curd dissipates. Set the curd aside to cool completely, stirring occasionally. The curd will continue to thicken as it cools.

***After I prepped the puff pastry like in the Tomato and Goat Cheese recipe, I smeared a layer of cream cheese on the puff pastry and threw it in the oven at 400 for a few minutes. Once the cheesecake tart was cooled enough I placed a dollip of Lemon Curd onto and smeared. In the morning I placed the fresh fruit ontop.

1 comment:

  1. OMG! I love lemon curd, and these sound to die for. I hope he appreciates them. If not, send them to me.

    ReplyDelete