Saturday, April 18, 2009

Anniversary Cornish Hens

It seems as though we have been celebrating our anniversay all week long. It started with the Tomato & Goat Cheese Tarts. Then the Cheese Platter. I had planned Cornish Hens for the night of our anniversary until I realized they were still frozen. So we decided to pack up the boys and go out for dinner, nothing fancy. Friday night I cooked the hens and tonight (saturday) the two of us will go out to the fancier restaurant we love.

Anyway for the Cornish Hens I drizzled with a little Olive Oil since I didn't have enough butter and had to save it for the rice. Then I sprinkled the hens with salt and pepper. That's it. Next I threw them in the oven at 350 degrees for 1.5 hours. They came out very moist.

I served the hens with a Mushroom and Wild Rice Pilaf. I wanted to make Mushroom Risotto but didn't have enough time.

Mushroom and Wild Rice Pilaf (cdkitchen.com)

4 teaspoons butter
2 shallots, peeled and chopped
2 cups chopped shiitake, oyster or white mushrooms
2/3 cup wild rice
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
2 cups chicken or beef broth
salt
pepper

Directions:

Melt butter in saucepan. Add shallots and mushrooms. Saute over medium heat for 5 minutes.

Add wild rice, rosemary and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer about an hour or until rice is tender and liquid absorbed. Season to taste.

This recipe from CDKitchen for Mushroom And Wild Rice Pilaf serves/makes 4

1 comment:

  1. This is beautiful! I love cornish hens. Sounds like a perfect way to celebrate. Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete