Friday, July 23, 2010

Sno-Cones

What child doesn't like a cold sno-cone on a hot summer day????  Let me tell you these past 2-3 weeks here in New England have been hot and humid.  Did I ever tell you I don't care for summer with this amount of humidity??

I try to watch the Food Network everyday to get some ideas of what to cook for the coming week.  I was watching Cooking for Real with Sunny Anderson one day and she happened to be making some Kiwi Sno Cones.  Man, did those look yummy.  One thing she used was her food processor to shave the ice down to "snow".  The first thought that went through my mind was, do I dare use my 16 year old food processor???  Yes, this is the same one I got as a wedding gift.  The reason I asked myself that question was, it is not in that great of shape (ie I can not grate cheese in it since the post to hold the grater broke.  another reason I see a spark when I push the button to use it).  I am eyeing a couple different new food processors but still need to convince my husband I need one. 

Anyway, getting back to the Sno Cones.   I got the stuff out and made them for the family the other night.  Let's just say it hit the spot.  The first night I made Black Cherry.  The second night I made Lemon for the boys and Margarita ones for me and my husband.  The rita's ended up being in between a frozen rita and on the rocks, but boy were they yummy.

Summertime Sno-Cones
Snow Cone Syrup

Ingredients:

2 cups sugar
3/4 cup water
1 package unsweetened Kool-Aid, any flavor

Directions:

Place the sugar and water in a medium pan and bring to a full boil. Remove from heat and stir in the Kool-Aid. Cool to room temperature, then place in the refrigerator until chilled. Pour over crushed iced.

***  Recently I bought some of those squeeze bottles for when you make chocolate molds.   I put the syrup in the squeeze bottles and pour over the ice...

No comments:

Post a Comment