Tuesday, June 30, 2009

What a Night...

Have you ever had one of "those" days? I had one last night. I had this week's menu planned and had chicken out to thaw. Then I saw an Olive Garden commercial. I sat down at my computer and looked at their menu. I came across a chicken dish called Chicken & Gnocchi Veronese. It is sautéed chicken with Italian dumplings and roasted red peppers in a parmesan and ricotta cheese sauce. Yum that looked great. I did a search for this recipe and found one on RecipeZaar.com. Hmm... I didn't have any fresh peppers but I did have roasted red peppers in a jar. So I used those. Then the next hmmm moment, I did have any heavy cream so I searched for the alternative.

After finding the alternatives for the peppers and cream I moved onto the gnocchi dough. I have never eaten a gnocchi in my entire life. (I also saw an episode on the Food Network where the chef Anne Burrel making gnocchi). I have never made them before and have wanted to try to make them. Oiy, what was I thinking. I made the gnocchi dough while the chicken was marinating. Then came across a couple of road blocks:

First, I don't own a potato ricer so I had to mash them by hand.

Second, I'm not sure if I had enough flour. I added a little her and a little there just so it wouldn't be so sticky. I finally got it to a consistency to where I can roll them into logs. I made the little "dumplings" out of half the recipe. Thank goodness my husband helped me with this meal and a glass of wine.

Thirdly, (is that proper English???) my oldest son came in to help. He mixed the ricotta, parmesan and the cream. I pour it in the pan and it looked like the ricotta didn't mix in "well".

Let's just say I made it through the recipe and served the meal. I was so upset with the way it came out I couldn't bring myself to take a photo. Since we have never had gnocchi before, we didn't know what type of texture or taste they are suppose to have. The one person that I know of that could have helped me and explained the process happens to be on vacation. Melissa, I was practically in tears. So I had a second glass of wine and whined all night about the darn meal.

2 comments:

  1. But how did it taste? I'm amazed and impressed that you even attempted to make gnocchi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. maybe try pushing it through a strainer next time? a glass or wine makes every meal better! good effort even if you weren't happy with it. i make lots of stuff i'm not happy with and it makes me feel better to know that other people do too, especially someone with all the good stuff you make.

    ReplyDelete