Thursday, June 25, 2009

Barefoot Bloggers Challenge - Gazpacho

The second recipe for the month of June was brought to us by Meryl of My Bit of Earth. She has chosen Gazpacho, which can be found in The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook on page 79.


I can not recall if I have ever had Gazpacho and was a little reluctant to try it. I always thought soup was to be served hot. I figured what do I have to lose by making this recipe, except a few veggies and maybe 1/2 hr of my time. My oldest son actually came in the kitchen to help me out. He just wanted to push the buttons on the food processor.


I truly liked the Gazpacho. I thought the texture would bother me with small chunks of veggies but it didn't.


I think tomorrow night's dinner will be Gazpacho and sandwiches. Something easy before a scout meeting.


Gazpacho

Ingredients

1 hothouse cucumber, halved and seeded, but not peeled
2 red bell peppers, cored and seeded
4 plum tomatoes
1 red onion
3 garlic cloves, minced
23 ounces tomato juice (3 cups)
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1/4 cup good olive oil
1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
1 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper

Directions


Roughly chop the cucumbers, bell peppers, tomatoes, and red onions into 1-inch cubes. Put each vegetable separately into a food processor fitted with a steel blade and pulse until it is coarsely chopped. Do not overprocess!


After each vegetable is processed, combine them in a large bowl and add the garlic, tomato juice, vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Mix well and chill before serving. The longer gazpacho sits, the more the flavors develop.

1 comment:

  1. I really liked mine with mac 'n cheese on the side. Grilled cheese would be good too. You can eat something unhealthy with it because this soup is all veggies and that way you have a balanced meal!

    ReplyDelete