Friday, January 20, 2012

Spicy Pop Pulled Pork

As I mentioned I follow the Pioneer Woman's blog.  Can you believe I have nevered watched an episode of her show on the Food Network?  My best friend Melissa sent me emails reminding me to watch it. 

Last Saturday I watched her Ranching in the Mist episode.  I felt like I was watching some old friends.  This episode she was making her Spicy Pop Pulled Pork.  Now I have heard of using soda/pop in pulled pork recipes but I was reluctant to use it.  She proved me wrong.  Another thing she proved to me is that a Pork Butt (no it is not the butt of a pig, actually it is from the front shoulder) can be delicious.  I had made a pork butt once and was devastated with the results.

This recipe was a pleasant surprise.

Spicy Pop Pulled Pork
Pioneer Woman - Ree Drummond

Ingredients

  • 2 onions, peeled and quartered
  • 1 whole pork butt (pork shoulder roast)
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • One 11-ounce can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
  • 2 cans pop (I use Dr Pepper)
  • 4 packed tablespoons brown sugar

Directions

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.

Start by placing the onion quarters in the bottom of a pot. Sprinkle the pork with salt and pepper, and then place on top of the onions. Pour the chipotle peppers over the top, and then crack open the cans of pop and pour them over the whole thing. Add the brown sugar to the liquid and stir.

Cover the pot, put in the oven and cook for at least 6 hours, flipping the roast 2 or 3 times during the cooking process. When it's done, the pork will be dark and weird and wonderful. It'll also be fork-tender. That's when you know it's done.

Remove the meat from the pot and shred completely. Then return the meat to the pot and keep in the juice until you need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment