Friday, January 20, 2012

Happy New Year!!!

One day I was sitting here thinking of the menu for our New Year's Eve Party and realized how many years it has been since we started.  Can you believe it has been 14 years since our first our first New Year's Ever party.  I can remember that night all to well.  My oldest son had a incident with the tabletop warm mist vaporizer.  He was fine but scared the heck out of me.

We also incorporate my Mother-In-Law's birthday into the NYE party, since she was born on NY day.  This year I made my Mother-In-Law a checker board birthday cake.  I saw this beautiful cake in a catalog and thinking I can make that.  What I didn't want to do is pay $70 to order it.  I set out on my mission to make this cake. 

I used one white cake mix and a devil's food cake mix.  I found a recipe for a white frosting from Amada's Cookin'.  I made the chocolate mousse from scratch and can not find the recipe I used. 

White Frosting
1 cup vegetable shortening (not butter flavored)
4 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
4 tablespoons milk
1 1/2 teaspoons clear vanilla
1/2 teaspoon lemon extract

To Make the Frosting:

Beat shortening and extracts until creamy, about 1-2 minutes on medium speed. Slowly add 2 cups of the powdered sugar, then 2 tablespoons of milk, 2 more cups of powdered sugar, then the remaining milk and any additional powdered sugar that may be needed.
Put 1/3 of the frosting into a separate bowl and tint it with a small amount of yellow paste food coloring. Frost in between the layers yellow and the sides and top of cake white. Decorate with green tinted coconut and jelly beans on top.

Once I had the cake frosted I decorated it with shaved white chocolate and mini chocolate chips. 

Let me just say, if you are using a new recipe test it out first.  The frosting was very good, but the chocolate did not stick very well to it.  I should have used a buttercream or whipped cream frosting instead.  I was not happy with the way my cake looked.

Here is my sorry looking cake..

The inside:

I promise I will do better next year! lol

No comments:

Post a Comment