Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Chicken & Corn Chowder

Here in New England the weather has started to get cooler at night. Lately the high's during the daytime has been around 75. I love this weather. I could live in it year round.


At this time of year I start thinking of chowders, stews and fall baking. I just saw an apple orchard talking about some of the apples that were ready. Apple picking is the one family tradition I look forward to the most.


This past weekend I decided I wanted some chowder, I'm not a big seafood or clam chowder type of person. I was talking to Melissa and she said Williams Sonoma has a great Lobster chowder recipe. So I went looking on their website. I found what I was looking for, Chicken and Corn Chowder. Oh yum...


Chicken & Corn Chowder

from Williams Sonoma


Ingredients:
4 bacon slices, chopped
1 large red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
4 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
3/4 lb. Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
3 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup dry white wine
3/4 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
6 green onions, white and pale green parts, thinly sliced
3 Tbs. minced fresh thyme
2 1/2 cups half-and-half
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

Directions:

Cook the bacon:
In a saucepan over medium heat, fry the bacon until crisp, about 5 minutes.
Using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain. Pour off all but 3 Tbs. of the fat from the pan.

Cook the vegetables and chicken:
Add the bell pepper, corn and potatoes to the same pan over medium heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until the peppers are just softened and the corn and potatoes are lightly tinged with gold, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the broth and wine and bring to a boil. Cover and cook until the potatoes are almost tender, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken and cook, covered, until opaque throughout, 5 to 7 minutes.

Finish the chowder:
Stir in the green onions, thyme and half-and-half. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, uncovered, until heated through, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle the chowder into bowls, sprinkle with the bacon and serve immediately.

Serves 4.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Food Made Fast Series, Weeknight, by Melanie Barnard (Oxmoor House, 2006).

1 comment:

  1. That looks delicious. It's still too hot here in the south for that now but maybe in a few more weeks hopefully I will be able to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete